Friday, February 3, 2017

Sandstorms and Sauropods


Jodie


January 26, 2017  
Today I needed to move a lot of matrix that was surrounding my vertebrae. I used the larger and less delicate air-scribe that I first started out on. It is better able to handle the large amount of matrix without being damaged. Although I love working on the actual fossils, it was satisfying to accomplish so much in one session. 


Even though it is a relatively small area, there is a lot of difference in the matrix surrounding the vertebrae. Most of the matrix was similar to what I have previously worked with but the matrix at the top of the picture was so soft I could break it apart with my fingers. 


One small section however was hard as cement! I spent a good share of my time trying to chip away at this very small section.


Over all, I showered both Sara and I with tons of sand. I used the vacuum to take up as much of the loose matrix as possible but when you move that much matrix it tends to fly everywhere so we both ended up completely covered in sand!


February 2, 2017
I started working on the middle vertebrae in the jacket. I could tell right away that the end of this vertebrae was very pitted and fragile like the one Sara has been working on. I had to thoroughly soak that section with vinac and let it dry. So I put my effort into the neural spine. Parts of this piece was bonded together before it was put in the jacket. I cleaned off bondo and vinac as well as matrix. The edges were fragile and cracked but I have increased my skills enough that I was able to clean it off without vinac or any crumbling. It was gratifying to see that my long hours of practice are starting to pay off a bit. It is really exciting to see the jacket as more and more is uncovered. I still love the work!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment! Please be respectful and we will make sure it gets posted for you! :)